Friday, May 11, 2012

Freddie

It all started when my dad got  remarried to a women named Maggie, my stepmom. Then My dad got a job in Minneapolis, so we moved away from San Diego. “ It will be fun Freddie ,” he said, “ we’ll have a house and a lawn instead of an apartment.”  Well, It wasn’t “ fun” at all. So I went out and bought a pair a sunglasses just before we moved to take with me. It was so I would always have a piece of San Diego with me, and I wore them everywhere. Then things got even worse (if that even seemed possible) when Maggie announced that she was pregnant. 

Then a few weeks into summer, I got a job at a bakery. The guy who owned the bakery had a daughter named Amy. We were the same age, and we were both going into the 6th grade. She and I became friends, and she introduced me to her cousins who I also became friends with.
  
Things didn’t seem so bad now, I had friends for when I went into the 6th grade. Then, like all good things in my life, it was too good to be true. Apparently Amy only lived with her dad during the summer, and she lived with her mom during the school year.

So here I am now in the bakery, baking her good bye cookies. Her face is covered with flower, and you could still see her fiery freckles. She’s wearing a purple shirt and apron with demon jeans, and here fiery red hair is in a ponytail, or whatever girls call them.

“Could you pass the sugar?” she asked.

“Sure.”

I know she senses tension.

“You know, I’ll be back for two weeks in winter, and a week in spring. Then I’ll be back for the whole summer.” She said.

 “I know. It’s just…”

“It’s just what?”

“It’s just things will have changed so much by the time you get back. Plus we’ll have lots of new friends from the school year, and I’m worried that you’ll forget about me. I kind of like you.”

“I could never forget you Freddie.” Then she went in for the kiss. I can’t believe it! She kissed me! She actually kissed me! My arms are numb. I must look like an idiot with my mouth open, and my eyes this wide.

“Close your mouth, you’ll catch flies,” she said.
                                               
                                           The Next Day

          Now, we’re in the airport, and saying goodbye. I feel like I should give her something to remember me by, so I bought her a necklace with a citrine as the centerpiece.
         
 “ I’ll miss you,” I said.
           
“ I’ll miss you too,” she said
          
 “ Call me as soon as you get to you’re mom’s,” said her dad.
         
 “ Okay Dad.”
        
  “ Here, take this,” I said as I gave her the necklace.
           
“ Thanks.”
           
That was when I took off my sunglasses in front of her for the first time in front of her. Then she left.

                                                After school started…

          Things aren’t so bad without Amy. I’m in class with one of her cousins. I’m still working in the bakery. Plus I can’t wait for this winter, so I can introduce Amy to my new little sister.      
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment