Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Darkness of Night


We were asked to write poetry that expressed figurative language, and I wrote mine about the night, giving it personification (giving something human like qualities) simile's, and metaphors.  

The Darkness of Night

What sights and sounds mingle,
 in the crisp evening air?
What mosaic of stars that is the heavens,
that sharpens the senses?

It is the darkness of the night.

A shooting star hangs,
In the evening blue,
Like a silver thread,
Loosened from the sky.

They symphony of day,
Has played its last notes,
The last chord hangs,
As the memory of a day gone by.

What music has ended,
What life has begun,
In all of its subtle glory and power?
It is the darkness of the night.


Analysis of Piece

In the piece I have written above, the types of figurative language I used were personification, simile, and metaphor. I used these specific types of figurative language not only to help the reader form an image in their mind’s eye, but also to bring a calm feeling to then, no necessarily depressing, but a calm, dream like feeling. I feel as though the type of figurative language that I used was very slow and flowing, giving the piece the dreamlike tone I wished to convey. The overall mood of the piece was darker, but not depressing like Edgar Allen Poe. I felt the figurative language really helped set the scene in the beginning by asking those simple questions, making this an overall proficient piece. I do not, however feel that this is an advanced leveled piece, because I feel like there was so much more I could’ve done with this piece, and I will most likely re-do this assignment.  



No comments:

Post a Comment